Corporate social responsibility
At Close Brothers Asset Management, we are dedicated to helping the charities that matter most to our employees. Our donations continue to increase year on year thanks to our fundraising efforts and matched giving schemes to our employees’ favourite charities. We continue to seek out new ways to give and to help employees who give their valuable time and money to causes close to them.
Our staff charities
We know that charity awareness and support are important to our employees, and we want them to feel supported when they give to charity, so we asked them who our main charity partners should be. This year, we have two charity partners – Cancer Research UK (a long standing partner) and Make-A-Wish Foundation.
We have continued to build on our roster of fundraising and giving activities through a combination of group-wide initiatives and locally organised events.
We host a variety of charitable events throughout the year in which employees can participate. There is consistently high turnout for our popular Charity Week, which offers a range of activities to suit each of our employees’ interests and expertise.
Some past events during Charity Week have included:
- Sports matches
- Silent auctions
- Cake sales
- Pub quizzes
Charity Week was established to raise awareness of important causes, and we welcome employee input in the week’s organisation and activities.
We also have a calendar of local and group-wide fundraising events throughout the year, from dress down days to Christmas markets, supporting a number of different charities.
Matched giving schemes
We support our employees by matching the time and money that they give to charities close to their hearts.
- Our Close Brothers Matched Giving Scheme encourages staff to aid their chosen charities by matching a proportion of funds raised, and by making donations based on amount of time dedicated to volunteering.
- Our Payroll Giving scheme allows employee donations to be made directly from their pre-tax salary, and the group matches a proportion of donations on a monthly basis.
- We match all funds raised by staff in local business fundraising activities for any registered charity.
- We offer a volunteering day to all employees each year, to take a day’s leave (over and above annual leave) to volunteer at any registered charity.
In addition to centrally organised activities, many of our local offices also support causes that are important to their communities. Some examples of this include:
- Volunteering at Caring in Bristol
- Our Gatwick team supports Crawley Open House with donations for the homeless
- Our Glasgow team participates in the West Highland Way walk for Pancreatic Cancer
- Donations of food and toiletries for the Hackney Foodbank in London
- Our Northwich team collects items for donation to British Heart Foundation
Awards for continued service to charity
Our charitable achievements have been commended by the following bodies:
- Flame of Hope Special Commendation Award from Cancer Research UK in their Corporate Fundraising category.
- Payroll Giving Quality Mark Gold Award maintained over multiple years thanks to continued group-wide participation.
- Member of Heart of the City the UK’s largest responsible small business network.
Supporting clients and intermediary partners
We run a number of education-led initiatives to support clients, their families, colleagues and intermediaries partners. Recent programmes include:
- Future Leaders Programme – for the children and grandchildren of clients and colleagues to give an insight into financial services and to build skills and confidence about business and entrepreneurship.
- Executor Education Programme – in conjunction with leading law firms across the UK, this programme highlights the responsibilities of being an executor, helping clients and their families to better prepare for their legacy planning.
- UK-wide retirement programme – knowing the importance of retirement planning and the complex choices now available, as part of our CSR we offer allocated free places on our programme of retirement seminars which are held in key locations across the UK and by webinar, to support employees who are approaching retirement.